Philosophy, Mission & Purpose
As empowered women of the 21st Century, we seek to promote a spirit of camaraderie and friendliness, a model of sportsmanship combined with enthusiastic competition. In doing so, we honor those women who came before us and set an example for those who will follow.
The Granny Basketball League was created to provide:
1. Fun, competitive exercise for women
over the age of 50.
2. An avenue for charitable giving.
3. Wholesome, nostalgic, and sometimes humorous entertainment.
4. Recognition for mature women
5. A method of preserving the history of six-on-six basketball.
Each Granny team selects a charity or non-profit cause to which they give gate receipts. Granny players, referees, scorekeepers and other staff are volunteers and do not receive compensation for their time or expenses.
Cedar Rapids Sizzlers, 2013, 2014
Wild Wild West Des Moines 2009, 2011
2005 - Lansing, Great Dames
Des Moines Car-X 2006, 2007, 2010
Des Moines Hot Pinks–2008, 2012
Parade of State Champs, 2005-2014
Copyright Granny Basketball League 2005-2015
A gentle game for women of a certain age.